Nervos Code Review
TM Rating: 84% |
Review Date: September 22, 2021 |
Nervos is a layered network built to support the needs of the decentralized economy. The team behind Nervos be- lieves that the best way to construct a system is not to build an all-encompassing single layer, but rather to decouple concerns and address them at different layers. By doing this, the layer 1 blockchain can focus on being secure, neutral, decentralized and open public infrastructure, while smaller, layer 2 networks can be specially-designed to best suit the context of their usage. In the Nervos Network, the layer 1 protocol (the Common Knowledge Base) is the value preservation layer of the entire network. It is philosophically inspired by Bitcoin and is an open, public and proof of work-based blockchain, designed to be maximally secure and censorship-resistant, to serve as a decentralized custo- dian of value and crypto-assets. Layer 2 protocols leverage the security of the layer 1 blockchain to provide unbounded scalability and minimal transaction fees, and also allow for application-specific trade-offs in regard to trust models, privacy and finality.
The core principles that led to the design of the Nervos Network are the following:
- A sustainable, multi-asset layer 1 blockchain has to be crypto-economically designed to be a store of value.
- Layer 2 offers the best scaling options, bringing nearly unlimited transactional capabilities, minimal transaction costs and an improved user experience. Layer 1 blockchains should be designed to complement, not compete with layer 2 solutions.
- Proof of Work as a Sybil resistance method is essential for layer 1 blockchains.
- The layer 1 blockchain must provide a generic programming model for interactive protocols and blockchain interoperability, and to allow the protocol to be maximally customizable and easy to upgrade.
- To best allocate resources and avoid the “tragedy of the commons”, state storage has to have a clear and fine- grained ownership model. To deliver consistent long-term rewards to miners (regardless of transaction de- mand), state occupation must have an ongoing cost.
Nervos is an innovative and interesting protocol that, from the look of it, learned from the previous layers 1 blockchain in the sense that it is addressing scalability issues thanks to layers 2 from its first days and aims to provide a complete solution since its start. As for any Layer 1 protocol, the main work to do, besides building the product, is community building, both for developers and end users. Seeing their current Gitcoin hackaton, Nervos is dedicated to attract us- ers to build on their protocol, so we will see in the coming times if it is enough to see meaningful adoption.
To visit Nervos official website, click here.